The University of Maryland MRSEC grants ended in September 2013 after 17 years of successful operation. This site remains as a history of the center, but will not be actively maintained.
REU Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What are the program dates?
- This year's program begins June 6st and ends August 12th, 2011.
- Where is the application?
- The applications are online at: http://mrsec.umd.edu/REU/2011_REU_Application.pdf
- What's the application deadline?
- The deadline for all application materials is February 18, 2011. All materials must be postmarked by February 18, 2011 to be considered.
- What is the stipend?
- The stipend is $4,500.00. Students receive the stipend in four equal pays during the 10-week period. The stipend can be used for food and recreation.
- Will I have internet access in my housing?
- Yes, we will set up an access account for you as soon as you arrive at UMD. If your computer has an ethernet card or wireless access card, you will be able to log on to the campus network to access the internet.
- What and when are the social activities?
- Social activities are ongoing and modified by student interest. However, a lot fun is had by all! The 2011 Calendar is not yet available, but you can find the 2010 activities during the summer months of the 2010 calendar.
- Where do I send the letters and transcript?
- Please send all application materials to:
MRSEC-REU Summer Program
Physics Building 082, Room 2120
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-4111
- What should I do if I cannot get my transcript in by February 18, 2011?
- Email us to let us know when to expect your transcripts and provide a list of the physics, chemistry, and engineering courses you have taken, with your grades for those courses and the names of the instructors. The list will help the committee evaluate your application until we receive your official transcript.
- I'm an international student. Am I eligible to apply?
- No. Due to program funding, we can accept applications only from US citizens and permanent US residents.
- What are the research projects this year?
- Please see the summer 2011 research projects. Projects will be posted as they are finalized; all final projects will be posted by November 19, 2010. For descriptions of last year’s projects, please see 2010 research projects.
- When will I know if I've been selected?
- We will begin making offers about the first week of February 2011 on a rolling admissions basis. If your application is complete by then, there is a chance that you would hear from us. Otherwise, we plan to have all our selections made by the March 5, 2011.
- How will applications be evaluated?
- The REU selection committee is made up of previous REU advisors. Selection will be based on the application, statement of interest, academic standing, and faculty recommendations.
- When will I find out what project I will be working on?
- Once the 2011 group is selected, projects, faculty, and students will be carefully matched. This process includes student majors, projects preferences, and project needs. Students will be informed as soon as possible.
- Can I live off-campus in an apartment/at home/with a friend?
- Living on campus with fellow REU participants is a part of the REU summer experience, and is required.
- Why choose the University of Maryland MRSEC-REU Program?
- Outstanding research facilities, excellent faculty, great location in the metro-Washington DC area, and a well-rounded overall experience.
Additional questions can be directed to MRSEC at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-405-8349.